July's wedding couple Agnetha Fältskog and Björn Ulvaeus say:
"We will have one child of our own - the rest we will adopt!
This year Svensktoppen-couple is Agnetha Fältskog and Björn Ulvaeus. She is 21 and he is 26. They are going to have an oldfashioned wedding in Verum Church i northern Skåne on July the 6th. And have a big party afterwards in Vittsjö.
Then they will split up in August. That thing about splitting up is not as serious as it sounds. This young and well singing couple will only split up artistically. Apart from that they really live up to the Svensktoppen ideal; kind, sweet, blonde and Swedish. And also very aware of what is going on in the world. Like all modern young people.
Björn Ulvaeus began his career in Hootenanny Singers with Västervik as their base. Many years has passed since then. Back then he wanted to write music and create something new, something better than that year's best - The Kingston Trio.
Then he met a guy called Benny Andersson, who was an exmember of Hep Stars, piano player and songwriter. The two started working together and quickly made it with songs on Svensktoppen.
At the same time Agnetha Fältskog was sitting at home and listened to Björn, to Hootenanny Singers and to the team Andersson/Ulvaeus' melodies. And slowly started writing songs herself. Then she came, saw and conquered! She met Björn and two hearts started to beat as one.
Soon Agnetha and Björn started to work together and the duo became a quartet when Benny Andersson brought his fiancée Anni-Frid Lyngstad to the mix.
But now, a year later, Benny and Anni-Frid has split up artistically and the same thing will happen to Björn and Agnetha this autumn.
- We're afraid to end up in the same situation as Svenne and Lotta who can't work separately anymore. Svenne Hedlund and his Lotta has, as everyone knows, has established themselves as a couple on aswell as off stage.
Björn and Agnetha's church wedding plans almost fell apart. When they called the assistant vicar Uno Wardener, who will marry them, he asked them about their professions.
- We are artists, said Björn.
- If you are atheists Verum Church is not the right place for you to get married, said the assistant vicar who misheard what Björn said. The misunderstanding was soon cleared up though.
- We will have one child of our own - then we will adopt the rest.
- Naturally we want a child of our own if we can have one. But the world around us is filled with poverty and need, and it's just natural that we should do what we can to help. Unfortunately adoptions take a very long time. But we have planned to travel to Peru or some other country in Southamerica to see if that would speed up things.. With thousands of starving children all over the world we have to take a responsibility, make a difference. And also we love children - no matter where they are from.
I haven't been this excited about a new ABBA release in years. Universal/Polar has made an excellent job with the new ABBA DVD "ABBA in Japan". I like everything about it, the packaging, the complete versions of songs etc.
My absolute favourite on this DVD is the documentary about the 1980 tour in Japan. ABBA seem so happy and relaxed both on and off stage. They are joking, singing (how bizarre to hear Frida sing a few bars of the Barbra Streisand/Donna Summer hit "Enough Is Enough"). It's a pity that even though we get to see quite a lot of ABBA on stage the music isn't live. I have a new dream now - a full live concert from ABBA in Japan 1980. Compared to how they looked on stage on the European/North American tour it's like night and day. Even Frida's dance solo is wonderful to watch.
I could write a lot more about this DVD release, but I don't want to spoil the fun for those of you who are still waiting for your copy. I don't think anyone will be disappointed. So if you haven't ordered it yet - you should!
With the Deluxe version comes three colour photos and a sticker, a nice touch.