In the new issue of Svensk Damtidning (4/2006) there's a big article about Frida. The content comes from the fabulous Frida DVD.
- The mountains and the beautiful nature has helped me through sorrow and joy. It has helped me to stay in shape and has given me new friends, says Frida on the newly released "Frida - the DVD". It is part of a collection of her four solo albums.
Here she talks about her fantastic musical career from when she started singing at age 13, how she was discovered when she appeared on "Hylands Hörna", the ABBA-days, but mostly about her life right now with her good friends in Zermatt below the impressive mountain Matterhorn.
- I came here the first time in 1975, she says, together with Benny (Andersson) for an Easter holiday. She remembers how she was abandoned in the piste because she didn't know how to ski. Screaming and crying she finally managed to get down.
- But the love to these mountains was established. Then it took some years before I returned.
Ten years ago Frida and her husband Ruzzo Reuss bought an apartment in Zermatt.
- When Ruzzo passed away I moved here. I go hiking and skiing. I used to climb the mountains, but I don't do that much anymore. So this beautiful landscape keeps me in shape.
FRIENDS IN ZERMATT
Frida also talks about her best friends here. One of them is Heinz Julen who is an artist.
- He helped me alot after my husband had died. We met on a creative level and we understood each other very well. Heinz also talks about Frida as a very honest and trusting friend.
Another of her friends is Urs Biner who runs a restaurant where he also performs.
- We were two souls that met, Frida and I. She and Heinz came here often to eat. I can't say that we love each other, but there's some sort of aura which I cannot describe. She really has everything! Frida talks fondly about Urs:
- We often talk about things that are important to us. He writes poetry and memorable little books. Both Urs and Heinz are my dear friends.
When Heinz in 2003 went to Stockholm for the Polar Music Prize together with Frida, everyone assumed he was the new man in her life.
- What happened on the red carpet with Frida was quite funny. The photographers gathered around us. I wanted to step aside, but Frida pulled me close to her and said "Come on, you're my friend!". Afterwards a lot of people from the media contacted me and wanted to interview me since I was Frida's new lover. But she is more like my best friend.
When "Mamma Mia!" opened at Cirkus in Stockholm Frida was there and so were Benny, Björn and Agnetha.
- It was like a farewell to the part of my life that belongs to ABBA. I have had the dream of doing something new with ABBA, but not a tour, Frida says.
Benny, Björn, Agnetha and I are in contact, but not very often. When we met at the premiere of "Mamma Mia!" in Stockholm Agnetha and I had a very loving and sisterly contact. We share so many memories from the ABBA-days. But I have lived abroad for 25 years.
Nowadays she doesn't feel the same strong motivation to pursue her musical career.
- I play alot of golf, which my husband Ruzzo taught me to love. I would also like to take flying lessons. I have taken one. I get goosebumps from the beautiful nature, classical music and opera and just to be enjoy a sunset over these mountains.
Frida doesn't like to stay out late and party anymore. But sometimes her friend Heinz takes her out to meet people and have a good time. Zermatt has a lot of nice restaurants.
Few people have experienced the high and lows of life like Frida. Her mother took her to Sweden to escape the rage from other Norwegians after she became pregnant with a German soldier.
MONICA Z A ROLE MODEL
There are no doubt about the fact that Frida found her way in life. Before ABBA she was successfull with colleagues like Björn Skifs and Charlie Norman. She worked at Folkan with Lasse Berghagen. She liked to sing jazz and pop and one of her role models were Monica Zetterlund. But she didn't care much for rock'n'roll.
- I thought the Hep Stars were horrible! Little did I know that Benny (who at the time was a member of Hep Stars) would become my husband!
It all came together when Frida and Benny started working with Agnetha and Björn. That story we all know. ABBA lasted until 1982. The only one who has ever said that it would have been fun to do something with ABBA again is Frida.
She moved to London, alone, her kids were grown and had their own lives.
- Sweden became to small for me, Frida says in the interview on the new DVD. I couldn't go outside without speculations about me and a possibly new man. I couldn't accept being a person talked about that I didn't recognise as myself.
- When you move abroad you change as a person. You have to build up a new life and that makes you grow. I didn't feel rootless though. I'm very grounded in myself. I have tried my wings, broken up and started all over again many times in my life. To be able to do so you must have an inner strength.
In 1984 Frida fell in love with Ruzzo Reuss von Plauen, who was more Swedish than his name suggested, his mother was Swedish and lived in Sweden. Frida and Ruzzo settled down in Freibourg in Switzerland. Together they had 15 years of happiness before Ruzzo died in cancer in 1999. Just one year earlier her daughter Lise-Lott died in a car accident in the US.
STRONG FAITH IN GOD
Once again Frida was alone with endless sorrow and prepared for another break up.
- I'm strong in myself. I also have a strong faith in God, Frida said in an interview in Svensk Damtidning. That is why I've been able to go on.
Her engagement in environmental issues and working with the anti drug foundation Mentor has probably helped too. She is a good friend of queen Silvia, who also works with Mentor. When the queen celebrated her 50th birthday Frida performed "Dancing Queen" together with The Real Group. This fantastic performance is also included on the DVD.
One of the most beautiful songs in the box set is "Även En Blomma". A song that Frida really feel strongly about.
- It's a song about getting older. In that song you can find my connection with nature and how I feel about other people. And it also describes how you want to grow and develop from everything you go through.